Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Diet Coke

I've heard how overweight people have taken to drinking Diet Coke to lose weight and then actually get hooked on the taste. I thought it was funny... until it happened to me! Now I won't drink any other cola. It has to be Diet Coke. Yum.

I was telling my friend about this phenomenon and she said that Diet Coke has a lot more caffeine than regular coke. Almost double. I looked and she was right! She suggested that it's the caffeine that you are really hooked on. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced she is right! Your body associates the taste with the buzz! When there is diet coke around I don't just "like the taste" I have to have it.  The other day my brother and his wife took me to Chunky's - this theater that serves a meal during the movie.On the way there they asked me "What are you in the mood to eat?" and I was like, "I don't know. I just want a Diet Coke."

That said, I don't drink diet coke very often. Just when it's an option. But it's a great example of how our body can associate things subconsciously - how addiction works - and how a company can utilize this science. I've decided to pull out the old caffeine pills and take them, on occasion, with water. Give a positive association to that healthy drink. I've avoided using them but if I'm honest with myself I do function better with caffeine (and I don't like coffee unless it's loaded with cream and sugar. The last time I drank Dunkin Donuts for a week I gained five pounds. So that option is off the table).

I know that companies are always trying to manipulate our senses to influence our buying decisions. For instance there is research on the right smells to induce spending money. We should use these effective techniques in our own life. For instance - the smell thing - they say that men are most attracted to cinnamon. As well as a few other scents. "My" perfume is Angel, which has a bit of a vanilla smell to it, so I think I have this one covered though I'd be interested in finding a one with a hint of cinnamon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">