Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, June 28, 2010

Learning

I learned a few things at the farm today:

  • If you don't stake the tomatoes in its early stages it will grow like pumpkins, spreading across the ground.  Speaking of tomatoes; I have a few tiny ones and they make the plant smell heavenly
  • I gathered a bunch of the South-East-Asian-lettuce for my in-laws that were in full bloom.  When I presented them, they asked if this was the whole crop and I proudly told them that there was so much more back in the field!  Later my husband told me that what they really meant when they asked me that was: "You idiot!  You pulled them up by the roots!  Now they won't grow back."  ha ha.   Live and learn.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to pull them up without the root though.  It slides out with a gentle tug.  I'm sure I'll figure it out next time.  Maybe it was for the best though.  I think they needed to be thinned.   
  • It's really important to keep the tools you are using on your person.  If you put it down, you will inevitably walk away from it and good luck finding it among all the plants!  This is especially true for me given my weed "situation".  I suddenly understood the value of those little loops in pants for holding hammers/tools!  These days it's just a fashion accessory.  But, dang, if you need it, it's really handy.  
  • When using the weed wacker always use goggles.  This of course isn't something I tried for even one minute.  But if I had tried it for one minute I would have discovered that the thing sprays you head to toe in green bits and pieces and it seems to me that one catch of a rock or dirt would result in permanent blindness.  All weed wackers should have an attachment for the storage of goggles to encourage use.  Luckily, I found some in a bin in the shed.  I was very proud of myself for getting the weed wacker started.  It took me a good fifteen minutes to figure out. I'm not mechanically inclined at all.  My husband is a mechanically inclined prodigy.  That's the beauty of marriage.  Complimenting each other.  "As iron sharpens iron", goes the expression.   This reminds me of a funny story from when we were dating.  His cell phone got locked somehow.  It was very peculiar.  He played with it extensively.  This is the sort of thing he can figure out.  But he just couldn't get it.  It's the sort of thing I could never figure out.  But I had the stroke of genius to go downstairs and call the cell phone company and get the code to unlock it.  I went upstairs and begged him to try.  I insisted that I could do it.  After a long while he begrudgingly let me try.  Beep beep beep beep.  I punched in the code and unlocked it.  He just about died.  I didn't tell him how I knew!!!  It was awesome!!!!  He worshiped my feet.  That was back in the early dating stage when you're still trying to impress the person.  I definitely scored points for that one.
OK, back to farming...Remember a few Sunday's ago the word nematode kept repeating in my head while I weeded?  Well today the word was aphid*!  I wasn't even sure what those words meant until I looked them up when I got home!  What a bizarre phenomenon.  Farming has a unique mind-clearing quality.

I bet I know what the farmer's wife's  favorite modern day invention is... the cell phone.  Otherwise it's impossible to get a hold of a farmer.  They are out there in, practically, the middle of no where.  And at about 300 feet the ability to understand what a person is saying drops way off.  On a related note: walking back and forth across the field, to the source of water, the shed, etc, is hugely time consuming.  It's really important to think three steps ahead to determine what you are going to need in the future.



*aphid:  A pest.  Numerous tiny soft-bodied insects that suck the sap from the stems and leaves of various plants, some developing wings when overcrowding occurs.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Oh Mylanta! Thanks so much for my chuckle of the day...that story about the cell phone is too funneee!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">