Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A ghetto surprise

I live in the city, above an African Salon ("Salon D'Afrique").  Next to my apartment is a laundromat.  Today I was in the garbage strewn parking lot, between the two buildings, putting my daughter in her stroller, when I saw in the cracks of the pavement an itty bitty carrot top.  I bent down and pulled it up by the roots and it did have a straight root like a carrot.  Could it be a wild carrot?  In the middle of the city?  I chewed it and, to my surprise, it was!  I looked around and found some more in other cracks!  I picked and ate them all.  (though, given their size, maybe "tasted" is a more appropriate word.)  It's so exciting to me to be gaining some agriculture knowledge, that I can spot a plant and recognize it's leaf.  It reminds me of a random project I once did, (I'm known for those) in which I picked, dried, and cataloged every type of weed in my yard.  There were literally hundreds of them.  I just taped them into this little crayola construction paper booklet.  I never bothered looking up their names, but I did have a good time putting them in categories of similarity- pointy leaves, round leaves, multiple leaves per stem, single leaf per stem, one vein per leaf, multiple veins per leaf, etc. etc.  It was loads of fun; a chance to just admire the diversity all around us that we take for granted.  I had fantasies of discovering a new species.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Lynn said…

    man, I wish there was a way to just click "like" ala FB! : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">