Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Maps of freedoms by state

I'm becoming more conservative in some ways- Personal freedom is a big deal for me. And more liberal in other ways- social support is a big deal for me too. Which may seem like a contradiction but I don't think it has to be. The Fourth of July brings the issue of personal freedom to the forefront for me. We live on a town in a state where personal fireworks are illegal, but we're only 15 minutes from a state where personal fireworks are legal. We're also an immigrant mecca... and the immigrants aren't as aware or concerned with the law so basically everyone in my town sets of fireworks on the fourth of July. Let me tell you, it is a million times cooler than public shows!!!! The close proximity makes it so much more exciting. And the randomness of the shows around you makes them an enjoyable surprise. When I first moved here I was pretty horrified and scared. But I've been converted and now I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. And I am kind of angry that my state thinks it knows better than I do what's good for me.

I looked up three issues that are an indicator of our "level of freedom" and I present to you these maps. I've been trying to convince Timmy to move to Texas, because they're still hiring new-grad nurses. I'd probably fit in with their "freedom culture" really well there. And maybe I can teach them a thing or two about the liberal concepts of social support and tolerance. :wink

A MAP OF FIREWORK FREEDOMS

A MAP OF HANDGUN FREEDOMS


A MAP OF HOMESCHOOLING FREEDOMS

1 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Amy said…

    Thanks for putting the link up about homeschooling. I had never seen that site before...very helpful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">