Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, March 16, 2009

A really cool St. Patty's day!!

This year's St. Patty's day was really special because I just found out that I'm part Irish!!! My mom sent me a St. Patty's day card with the announcement. She found out when looking through a genealogy web site with her mom. Not only that, but he served in the Revolutionary War!! What exciting revelations!

It's amazing how meaningful it is to me to know about my ancestors. It seems so silly. But every time I hear the word "Irish" now I get a warm feeling inside and think "that's me! Irish." I can only imagine what it must feel like for adopted people to find out their roots.

I'm a true American mutt. My family has no real culture left over from our ancestors. Which, at times, is kind of sad. Like when my class had a heritage day and we all had to bring in a dish from our ancestors and I made up a dish. (Though I consider my Christian- homeschool-crunchy culture to be full and amazing. And "American" culture is pretty awesome too.) The only things I know about my past are the stereotypes about countries.

And now I present to you Deena's obscenely shocking list of stereotypes about her heritage.
  • Sweedes have beautiful blonds and eat lots of fish.
  • English- well there's lots to like about England. They ruled much of the world in the last century. They brought us the Beatles. They drink tea. They stopped Hitler (sort of).
  • Scottish- well, they wear kilts and they were really cool warriors in the movie "Braveheart".
  • Finnish -I know nothing about them. I lump them with the Swedes in my stereotyping.
  • Native American. They were "here first". White people stole their land. They love nature but were sometimes very violent. Squanto saved the pilgrims from starvation.
  • German. I get my lack of ability to tell a joke from the Germans. They are smart. Nazis came from Germany.
  • And now Irish. :) They've endured so much. A conflict that rivals the middle east. The potato famine. Discrimination in America ("Irish need not apply"). um. leprochans. lucky charms. They have a propensity for alcoholism. A beautiful green land.
So there you have it. I'm excited to join the ranks of the Irish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">