Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blogging about ABDC again?!

I try to keep this blog entertaining. So it goes against my better judgment to blog about America's Best Dance Crew again. But you. don't. un.der.stand. Last week Beat Freaks performed the best dance I've ever seen in my life. And then THIS week Quest Crew performed the best dance I've ever seen in my life. To understand the magnitude of this you have to hear me out.You have to understand my appreciation for hip-hop dance... Let me take you back in time to when I was in high school. I loved to dance. I loved hip-hop. And my Dad video taped a PBS documentary about hip-hop dance. I watched it over and over and over. We didn't have cable, so I couldn't watch MTV. Which was no big deal. But I needed to see the dances to learn the dances. So a kid from school (who had a crush on me) taped a bunch of music videos for me. I watched them and learned all the moves. I would spend hours in the living room, pausing, slow moe-ing, copying the moves, putting it all together. On that video were classics like "Good Vibrations" and C+C Music Factory and MC Hammer. It was like a science. I was very devoted. And you know, it worked. By the time I graduated I was pretty darn good.
In fact, it all kind of came together one glorious moment in college at a hip-hop dance on campus (a Christian college, so all clean). The DJ played that Mariah Carey/Old Dirty Bastard remix and I was totally feeling the music, dancing my heart out, and at the climax of the song I even threw out a back handspring... good memories. good memories.

Anyway, here I am a dozen years later (literally). I can't dance like that anymore. But I can still appreciate a good dance when I see one. I watch ABDC with a neutral expression. Waiting to see if it's any good. I'm honest in my appraisal. But then sometimes I am just blown away. Like this past week, when Quest Crew took to the stage. I was hooting and hollering and shrieking and jumping and throwing myself on the couch in dramatic fashion and saying things like "NO THEY DI-INT!!!" So I just wanted to share with you, as a hip-hop afficionado. This is THE REAL DEAL. All those other dance shows are just fluff. Like that "America's Best Dancer" Roll eyes. Trained dancers have NOTHING on street dancers. Nothing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">