Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I've decided to homeschool!!

My 8 year old had disability testing at school and I went to the IEP meeting. It went really well. I got so much good feedback about him and felt so much support for him. Although he doesn't have any Learning Disabilities (it was nice to officially rule out dyslexia, I've always wondered), it was unanimous that he has symptoms of ADD. So I'll talk to his doctor about that. The real eye-opener for me though was the descriptions of his interactions with the other kids. He's kind of a loner. (I knew that though). He's not getting along with other kids. And in fact, his teacher said he would rather talk to the teachers at recess then play with the kids. As a result, he's miserable. It seemed so obvious to me- why torture the kid with 12 years of public school when he will obviously be a healthy, happy, contributing adult without the stress of public school socialization?

So I decided right there to dive back into homeschooling next year. I always knew I'd come back to it, I just didn't know when. I told the kids and kind of left Brandon the option of joining Wolfie. I was nervous about taking them both on... until today. I discovered some great online learning programs that would fit in very well with our family. We're very computer friendly. It would only be natural to integrate it into homeschooling. A program like that would give me the confidence to do both kids; supplemented with books, dictation, field trips and a YMCA membership. (Can you tell I'm getting excited?) I also had the great idea that my Dad could take one or both of them occasionally for lessons. He's a college professor - and I learned so much about faith and critical thinking from him. What a blessing if my sons could get a piece of his wisdom too.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Dana said…

    Oh, congratulations! And I agree...why put him through the torture? But then, I'm biased. Have fun planning through the summer. I like summer planning...when all my ideas are so neat and exciting and unspoiled by all the inevitable disruptions!

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a big undertaking esp with finishing nursing school! How is his socialization otherwise? Sending lots of *positive vibes* for concentration and organization and clarity as you get things in order the next few months.

    *HUGS*
    Heather

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    It's so good to hear from you, Heather! In answer to your question... My son's personality is similar to my brother and father. So the way he socializes isn't really something I think I need to "fix". But I don't think it fits well with the mold of public school. Clear as mud?

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Benjamin Meyer said…

    Just curious, which brother?

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    ha ha. I was wondering if you'd wonder. um. you. You're not offended are you? I actually think it's kind of cool. Wolfie's just like you and Dad. Maybe he'll be successful like you someday too. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">