Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, May 30, 2008

Gas prices and the fate of the USA

I can't say for sure if we've hit the peak of the amount of oil available on this planet, as some have suggested. But it appears to me that life in America is changing fast and may never go back to the way things were. Prices are skyrocketing on everything. Most notably on food and gas. I remember when we could fill up the tank for $10. Now it takes about $50. And feeding a big family is becoming a real concern. Food banks are in record need.

It's true we're nowhere near the highest in gas prices. Gas in most European countries is much higher. But that's due to taxes. (So the silver lining there, is that at least it's going back to the people). As prices climb, America faces a crisis. Unlike Europe, America was designed with a sprawling layout. Virtually nothing in America is within walking distance. Not grocery stores. Not jobs. Not doctors. Sometimes a school is. Though, many schools have unusual and large district lines drawn to ensure proper racial makeup. (And strangely enough I find myself linking to Brown vs. Board of Education for the second time this month). Often the distance isn't even bikable.

Remember a few weeks ago I was considering moving somewhere, where housing prices were more reasonable? Well, I've scrapped that plan. Frankly I'm nervous to move because we're lucky enough to live right off 3 major highways (meaning access to jobs) and in a small city so we could walk to the shopping market if we had to. So even though our gas and food costs are already more than we can afford- at least I know we have that buffer. The large families in rural areas will be hit extremely hard.

Our low density living is really hurting us (and is another reason I think that population control is ridiculous). I don't blame our forefathers for their decisions. I know we come from free spirited pioneers who each wanted their 160 acres of land. or their 40 acres and a mule. They had no way of knowing what it would lead to. But now we're dealing with some serious ramifications. We're gong to have to switch over to a more community way of living, like Europe. It will probably take a generation or two. And in the mean time the standard of living is going to suffer. But in the end, it will probably be for the best. I think people will be better off living in tighter knit communities. It could mean a very different and much better way of life.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Benjamin Meyer said…

    Here is Oslo gas is only $9.70 or so a gallon. :)

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    I was hoping you'd chime in. :) You don't own a car right? My mom was telling us how you guys are used to walking everywhere. It's so neat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">