Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, May 02, 2008

Cohousing Communities


That will be me at my hippy commune. ha ha.


We're brainstorming where we want to live when I graduate. According to the local paper our city is the 6th highest housing cost in the country (I think in relation to income). I totally believe it. If you saw where we lived and what we paid you would probably faint.

Anyway, since I'm open to just about anything (in America) I've been researching online different places to live. I'm really interested in joining a co-housing community because I would love a place where the kids can run around outside without worry. I found a great directory that I've been searching through. This place in Michigan is kind of what I'm looking for. (Except I'd rather a warm climate).

Even though my faith is dear to me I'd almost rather not live in a Christian community because I feel like that would be sheltering myself from non-Christians. How can I be a salt and light if I'm not interacting regularly with non-believers? Ya know? Not that I'm intending to proselytize. Another way of describing it is this: the biggest reason I would want to live in a Christian community is to "raise my children" Christian. But my God is bigger than that. He doesn't need me to cram Christianity down my kids' throats for Him to win their hearts.

I'm also looking at regular old towns with good economies and cheap houses. My favorite so far is Branson, MO. I already have an online friend there. :-)

2 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Matthieu said…

    Hi, you will find some constructive answer if you look at cohousing communities! To get a view from within, watch the documentary "Voices of Cohousing. Rebuilding villages in the city", award winner at the 34th Ekotopfilm festival 2007. For trailer and info: http://notsocrazy.net. Enjoy and good luck!

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    Cool. Thanks! (You seem to be "in the know") If you know of a good one email me! deenasao AT hotmail DOT com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">