Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Deena weighs in on the presidential candidates/issues

You've been dying to hear my opinions, me being so politically savvy and all. But I've been somewhat skirting the subject because I am in a very strange political place; as I transition from Republican to Pro-life Democrat. It's not something I want to do. There's almost a shame involved for me, but I've come to some strongly held beliefs that now put me on the left. Issues like:

Immigration: If an illegal immigrant is already here then they should be able to stay. They came over looking for a hope and future for themselves and more importantly their children. Sometimes they come from situations of complete destitution. There is nothing immoral about what they did. Only illegal. We Christians can see the difference between immoral and illegal when it comes to, say, abortion clinic demonstrating; but we put blinders on when it comes to those other people. Do I deny the problems created by illegal immigrants? The strain on the school system and hospitals in border states? No. Those issues absolutely need to be dealt with. The border needs to be secured and America needs to do a lot more to assist with the poverty in the countries to our South.

Health Care: This issue boils down to class divide. Health care costs are so out of control that it's eating up the middle class. I am not OK with our country becoming a state of two classes, the rich and the poor. That goes against every bit of American that we know: that anyone can move up the ladder with a little hard work. Health insurance companies (between profits and administration costs) cost 15 times what Medicaid does. In my state it's an insane 40% of health care costs. Even though Republicans (and myself) naturally distrust the government's ability to do anything efficiently, in this particular case it is already proven to be more efficient. And finally, morally; again appealing to my Christian brothers and sisters; health care is a basic human right (Article 25). How can we call our nation blessed and turn our backs on our ill neighbors, insisting that everyone fend for yourself and if you can't afford health care, then "too bad". No, that's not the kind of place I want to live.

Gay marriage: I bought the Christian arguments for a long time. But after thinking them through, I've found them to be garbage. The biggest argument is that the family needs to be preserved- that marriage is the last holdout in our crumbling society. Sometimes comparisons are even made between gays and the fall of Rome and the fall of America. In response to that I quote from the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Gibbon in which he says: "Instead of inquiring why the Roman Empire was destroyed we should rather be surprised that it has subsisted for so long". The fall of Rome was complex, but gay marriage was certainly not the cause. Rather, all nations are destined to fall by some means or another at some point.

Another Christian myth: Gay marriage hurts kids. Really? Gays can have promiscuous sex in this country. They can raise kids in this country. But if they want to commit to each other for life- that's where we draw the line? That's where kids get hurt? No.

Is this something your church could not support? I get that. But gay marriage does not ask or require churches to sanction it. This is totally separate: a state sanction. Does gay marriage redifine marriage? Not if your definition includes coming before God- because that's not a part of this discussion.

Are civil unions the answer? I once read Dobson argue that Civil unions should be available, not just to gays, but also to, for example, a brother and sister who live together who need a legal link for health insurance. My response to that is: Universal Health Care. tee hee. Civil unions are just a way of saying to gays "You're a second class citizen. We don't agree with you, so we won't permit you to commit your lives to each other in marriage, but we'll throw you a bone and let you do it if you call it something else". It's quite derogatory and only makes Christians look cold hearted to the gay community.

In other ways I'm still quite Republican:

Pro-life: Abortion hurts women physically and emotionally. It lets men off the hook for taking responsibility to the women they have sex with and the children they create. And of course, it's the murder of the most innocent in our society. I am against abortion in all circumstances at all times. Your life is valuable to me and to God, regardless if you're the product of rape or incest or you are not physically or mentally perfect.

School choice: As a future and former homeschooler I still think this is one of the most fundamental rights that parents have, to teach their own children. It should be strongly protected. School vouchers are an opportunity for the poor to get just a taste of the educational opportunities the rich have. Not to mention, it's a better use of our tax dollars.

And then there are issues I'm not sure about:
National Defense: I kind of want to have my cake and eat it too on this one. Can't we be a super power and provide health care for all of our citizens? But it does occur to me that the countries that provide health care for everyone don't spend nearly as much on their national defense. If I had to make a choice I would go with health care... but I'd rather not make that choice.

So those are the hot issues for me - the ones that get my vote. When I went to select smart Presidential Candidate Selector it matched me best with Hillary Clinton. So you see why this is really a strange place for me to be in right now, considering how despised she is by Republicans and how long I've been a Republican. The nice thing about my position is that I see the silver lining of all the candidates. When you are passionate about politics it's easy to fall into despair after an election loss- even consider leaving the country. But I'm in a place where I'll be quite content with just about anyone - except Guiliani. I don't like Guiliani.

In related news: Saphira Sao has rescinded her candidacy for President. She released this statement in a press conference: "Thank you to all my supporters and hard working volunteers. It has recently been pointed out to me that the minimum age for Presidency is 35 years. I look forward to your support when I attempt to run again in 35 years."


Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you checked out Ron Paul? He seems relatively aligned with many of your views (minus health care), plus, he's a republican to boot.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    You got me curious -even though health care is a deal breaker issue for me this election. So I looked him up and we also disagree on immigration and gay marriage - so not a good match. I know a lot of good people supporting him though.

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    I disagree with you about healthcare. We are military and use social healthcare and let me say from experience, it is also. Not only that, but every country around the world that has it is currently looking for an out because it is a nightmare.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    I have lots of friends in countries with socialized medicine that would disagree with you. And military healthcare can't be compared to universal health care because that is only provided by the doctors and nurses who join the military- not a true cross section of the US Medical personnel.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Maggie said…

    I agree with you on the majority of your post. I also got Hilary Clinton when I did the selector. It surprised me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">