Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Diagramming Sentences

I generally lean towards "child led learning"/unschooling. You know, encouraging them to learn from their interests. I admit this is totally the opposite of that philosophy but nonetheless... I went to a private school that spent oodles of time teaching diagramming sentences. I hated it at the time but now I'm totally thankful. There are times when I diagram a sentence in my head to figure out if a word is right (mostly subject/verb agreement). The lack of grammar skill these days perturbs me, though I'm not sure if diagramming sentences is a requirement for literacy or if just learning grammar rules will do. don't know/shrug It's just sad to me that diagramming sentences, like cursive, is a skill that is not being taught anymore. (At least in our school district). Just yesterday I corrected my fifth grade son's teacher's writing on his paper. She wrote: "Lions have large claws which helps them hunt." Obviously giggle it's supposed to be: "Lions have large claws which help them hunt."

http://www.grammarbook.com/grammar/subjectVerbAgree.asp Rule 13

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a regular topic of discussion in our home as well.*sigh*

    *HUGS*
    Heather
    Http://naturalchildhood.mymamashouse.org

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    ooh tell me more. Do you disagree with your spouse/family about teaching it? You mean there is someone else in this world that actually thinks about diagramming sentences or teaching grammar? Or maybe you are just as saddened as me by the decline in literacy in general...

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My boys are not strong in handwriting and grammar, so we don't overstress it. We just include it in our daily life. {We are relaxed HSers.} They have been writing in cursive since Kindergarten. And yeah we discuss all the time the 'decline in literacy' as where we live is known for having issues and pushing kids thru the PS system just because of the No Child Left Behind Act. *sigh*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">