Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Facing the fact that I'm a (gulp) Democrat

It's a realization I'd been coming to for some time now, but going to the voting booths today for the big 5th congressional seat vote made me once again face this fact. I went online at 7:30 PM to research the candidates a little (can you say procrastinator?) I ended up choosing Democrat Niki Tsongas. Right now I'm pretty much a single issue voter- health care. Who is going to vote us closest to universal/single payer health care? Generally that's going to get me a Democrat, but frankly I'm starting to become more liberal on a number of other topics like social spending vs. tax cuts and gay marriage. I'm still conservative when it comes to: abortion and school vouchers and homeschool rights. I'm also very pro-immigrant, which isn't really a hot Democratic topic but definitely NOT a Republican one (except for George W. Bush, oddly enough). But you can see, I've shifted enough on big issues to actually consider (ack!) registering as a Democrat.

(By the way, not really related, but just to show you what an old timer I am around here- I remember the day of Paul Tsongas' funeral. It was the biggest funeral I've ever seen in my life. The entire city practically shut down).

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey,

    Can you email me? mymamashouse@comcast.net

    thanks!
    heather [2ds1dd]

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Ruth said…

    I knew you'd come around one of these days; I've always known you were just too smart to stay a Republican forever. :)

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger Anne Basso said…

    I'm still a Republican, but I'm a Crunchy Con. A Teddy Roosevelt Republican, if you will, as opposed to a Reagan Republican. My dad (a Democrat) says that really makes me a Democrat, but I'm not there yet. LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">