Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Christian homophobia vent

It was a message board conversation that spurred this post. I'd normally just let this sort of conversation go, but right now this topic provokes me like none other...
The thread was about Dumbledore being gay. It was a fairly mild conversation. I didn't feel the need to do any defending of the gay community because plenty of other women were speaking elequently on the subject and mostly it just spun off into a witchcraft debate anyway.

Then one women said that she wasn't comfortable with having to explain this to her children. So I suggested that using a fictional character might be a useful way of introducing the subject. And she responded with "agree to disagree". Agree to disagree that you're homophobic? I was hoping some further conversation would open her eyes to it a little, so I typed the poking picture with an innocent smile and said "If they don't learn about sexuality from you, they'll learn it from someone else." To which she replied in three paragraphs at how offended she was and how she didn't want to talk about it with me. So I dropped the conversation but what irritates me more than homophobia is closed mindedness about the issue (or others). If you can't talk about homosexuality openly with your children than there is a problem. Children start to know if they are homosexual before they reach adulthood. It is sad if they discover that in a familial environment in which they know homosexuality is a taboo topic and unaccepted. We talk openly about all topics at all ages, in our family. The conversations adjust as the kids get older, but ignoring a subject completely at any age misses huge opportunities for influence.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am not homophobic. BUT I do not need to tall my young children what being gay means at a very young age.

    Again Deena I wonder why you are part of a group for which you display much animosity.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think there is a difference between "animosity" and living in the "real world" which many people try to sweep under the rug.

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    If you are old enough for Harry Potter (10+ in my opinion) you are DEFINITELY old enough to know what homosexuality is.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ITA Deena!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">