Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Saturday, May 12, 2007

(Hopefully) last school vent

Today was my last day of school so it was supposed to be a really joyous day (only a final exam left to go). But it was a total let down. I got an 89 on a project that I TOTALLY deserved a 95 or better on. So that's going to drag down my average. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Then the teacher taught another incorrect thing. The class was on sleep and rest. I mean, how much new information could they possibly teach? (answer: not much) The teacher described night terrors as when children wake up really scared and screaming. NOT TRUE. My son had night terrors. The children are not scared. They do scream and cry inconsolably. But they are actually unaware of what they are doing and will not recollect the incident the next morning. This education is utterly frustrating.

And finally, my school has a new blog and I attempted to post about the health fair we did. But apparently I couldn't just "register" and post. I understood that they may want to edit posts and all but the editor was taking his dandy ole time posting the article I sent him and so I complained in email to him that a blog that is not current news will be obsolete. And in his response he told me that he will get around to posting my health fair blog and my offer to blog about the China trip isn't really appropriate because this blog is for administrators only. I know that's not true and I'm TOTALLY taking this up with the president of the college.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of school I might as well report on my sexuality lecture three days ago. Ha. That was interesting. My teacher, a raving liberal started the lecture by explaining that there is no room for judgement in nursing and basically slamming any Christian who believes that the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong. But I just let that slide because I do agree with her that regardless of other's decisions, everyone deserves to be treated with love and respect.

Later in the lecture she talked about female circumcision and then posed the question: Male circumcision- how is that different? Well that's a loaded question for me because I have debated it in depth online and no way was I going to keep quiet to that question. Here is basically what I said: "I actually feel very strongly about this subject. If you don't mind me getting on my soap box for a moment here. Female circumcision increases risks in childbirth, increases the susceptibility of STD's, and like the teacher said, is a way for men to dominate women (removing sexual pleasure, prohibiting sex until marriage). Male circumcision on the other hand has been proven to reduce the spread of STD's and cervical cancer for women. Female Genital Mutilation and Male Circumcision should not even be uttered in the same sentence".

LATER in the lecture (it gets worse!) The teacher was talking about birth control and listed the "rhythm method" as the one recommended by the Pope. So I spoke up and said that there is also the sympto-thermal method, recommended by the Pope. And she said "The rhythm method is the sympto-thermo method." And I said "no it isn't" and she said "yes it is" and (can you believe this?) I said "no it isn't!" (Even I can't believe I said that). So she goes "OK, how would you describe the difference?" And I said "The rhythm method goes by the calendar. The sympto-thermo method goes by mucus and cervical changes-" (she cuts me off before I could finish) She says "The calendar is the cycle and the mucus and cervical changes are symptoms of the cycle" And I said "Well, no one who uses it calls it the rhythm method". whew. So that was the end of it. After class I apologized to her for being rude, but I'm not sure if I would have done it differently if I could replay it. She expressed her disdain for celibate male priests giving sexual advice to women. And I informed her that experienced women mentor younger women in the ways of the sympto-thermal method.

So hopefully this is the last rant until next fall!!! Thanks for listening, all. Sometimes I just have to get it off my chest.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Beanie's Appa said…

    Looks like your teacher's question about circumcision hit home. (S)he asked how it is different, and you answered it at face value. And commenting about it in your blog brought your online fights to your homefront.

    For me, I'm a man, circumcised at birth. In my eyes, circumcision either way is cutting parts of minors' genitals off, without their consent. If I had the choice, I would choose no.

    Let boys grow up and choose for themselves. They won't have much sex if at all before they turn 18 and have the choice.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Jesper T. said…

    I agree 100% with beanie. Let them choose themselves.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">