Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Deena weighs in on Imus

Sorry readers to bore you with an overhyped subject but I just had to weigh in...
For my brother and sister in law in Norway: Don Imus is a liberal radio talk show host (also syndicated on TV) who, last week, was talking about the NCAA girls championship basketball game. He referred to the losing Rutgers team as "Nappy haired hos". Yikes. So there was an uproar and his show was taken off the air for ten days but the pressure continued and then he was fired. So now the past few days has been filled with "Should he have been fired?" debates.

I couldn't stand Don Imus. So I'm happy he's gone. But I know the liberals are squirming under the loss of one of their biggest radio show hosts too, so I'm sure that fear is behind a lot of his defenders.

My opinion:

The main argument I hear in the media is "There is a double standard. Rappers can say those words but Don Imus can't". I just had to address this issue because those two instances are apples and oranges. FIRST of all, "top 40" rap is pretty clean; when bad words are used, the "clean" versions are the only versions played on the radio. If people want to buy the bad stuff they have the right to do that. The same will now be true for Don Imus who will undoubtably be available on XM radio. SECOND OF ALL when rappers say those words they are not calling a specific person a derogatory name. HUGE difference. Because I can assure you that the few times that rappers start rapping about specific people - like each other. The consequences are often FAR worse than what happened to Don Imus. It often results in "the death penalty" by way of drive by. So I would say there is NOT a double standard when it comes to rap vs. Don Imus.


Ironically, when I talked to (white) "people on the street" the argument that came up again and again was basically "I'm sick of there being a double standard. If someone said "white trash hos" no one would have been upset. And the argument usually quickly turns to how unfair racial preference/reverse discrimination/affirmative action is. As much as I agree with them, it is no arguement against what Imus did. There is just no excuse .

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Siditty said…

    Imus isn't a liberal. Liberals have hated him for years

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/
    index?qid=20070413103517AAka9bD

    He's hard to classify but he definitely leaned way left. Every time I flipped by his radio show and listened for a minute it was like fingernails on a chalk board to me. And I'm a conservative for the most part so he is DEFINITELY not conservative.

     
  • At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To be fair, Imus' comment is nothing when compared to Limbaugh's "Barack the magic negro":

    http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/50979/

    Yikes!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    Woah. No comparison in my book. Rush Limbaugh's song is quoting this article from the NY Times http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-center

    That article speaks to some of the phenomenon of Obama. Obama is a "non-threatening black" to white America so he is electable. It's a political commentary on a factual situation (that happens to be about race)

    The Imus comment was, once again, a heinous racially based attack on some innocent girls.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No comparison? Did you even listen to the song on the link?

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    I know the song is kind of grating, but it makes a good political point. "Magic Negro's" are... "regarded as an exception, allowing white America to 'like individual black people but not black culture.'" (From the book Black Magic: White Hollywood and African American Culture) The article I linked to above sums up the issue for me. It seems to me that America loves Obama for his unthreatening messages of unification, but has no interest in his actual political beliefs. How ridiculous is that? The ridiculous song drives the point home.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">