Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ah, school

I have to give credit where credit is due and say that I finally do feel like I know more than I did three months ago when I started. My biggest area's of growth are charting and knowledge of drugs. I'm starting to feel like a real nurse and when I go to clinical I get to act like one too.

That being said, this is my one place to safely vent about my stupid professors. So here's the latest:

My developmental professor is teaching us about the major theorists: Piaget, Kohlberg, Freud. And she's explaining Freud's principals as if they were fact. For example: "If I child does not come out of the oral stage in a healthy way he will have oral issues as an adult like smoking, talking too much, etc." So I asked "Has this been proven, scientifically????" And she said "Well, Freud is accepted in the scientific community, so yes". scratching head <span class= But a few days later I was reading a magazine called "Science News" where I found this confirmation of my skepticism...

"An entire scientific community could be wrong about something, be expected to know that they are wrong and for nearly inexplicable reasons persist in being wrong. This happened when the medical establishment embraced Freudian psychology as an explanation of human behavior. In spite of extensive training in the biological and chemical sciences, medical practitioners of Freudian psychoanalysis ignored the basic principal that any scientific explanation of natural phenomena, including human behavior, must be testable. Perhaps physicist-author Lee Smolin is right in suggesting that we are witnessing groupthink again."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">