Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, March 19, 2007

School Rant

I am intensely frustrated at school. I've been waiting two years to get into the nursing program. I just couldn't wait to start the real nursing classes and really learn some useful things. I am so disappointed that I am learning very little new information. I guess any Joe-shmo can be a successful nurse. I won't be happy until I'm at a more advanced level: nurse practitioner, nurse anesthesiologist or MD. There is a book of "nursing diagnoses" that we are allowed to make our diagnoses from. And the list is really quite insulting. I understand the purpose - which is to limit our practice - after all, we are not doctors. But we are only allowed to diagnose things in which a patient could basically tell us for themselves. For example:
Patient: "I am cold"
Nursing diagnosis: "Imbalanced body temparature"

Is that not hillarious and insulting?!

Not to mention that I disagree with the professors much of the time. At first I articulated my disagreement in class. But now that I see this is going to be an ongoing problem, I've lost the drive to debate professors every day. I now resort to eye rolling and squirming in my seat out of sheer frustration.

For instance, today in nutrition the Professor handed out a dozen fat products and had the students line up in order of amount of saturated fat. The students were supposed to get a visual lesson on which products were better than others. But I TOTALLY disagreed with her product order. Her number two "worst" product was Smart Balance. But way down the line was "I can't believe it's not butter". "I can't believe it's not butter" has Trans Fatty Acid, whereas Smart Balance does not. That totally supercedes the difference in Saturated Fat!!!

Extra Virgin Olive oil was "third worst" whereas all sorts of canola and soy and vegetable oils were displayed as better. This, is totally absurd because a person does want to limit saturated fats, but more importantly, one wants to increase monounsaturated fats. And no one does that better than olive oil!

Then in the protein lecture the professor said, and I quote, "Incomplete proteins must be combined to create all the essential proteins. Vegetarian clients must be taught to combine foods properly". GAG ME. That is so early 90's. Nutritionists now know that the body can still combine incomplete proteins that are consumed at different times. There is no need to stress about eating the right combinations, so long as the person is eating a variety of healthy foods.

So you can see why I am so frustrated. Some lectures are better than others. But days like today I just want to shoot myself. All of these inaccuracies are being taught to future nurses!!!! sigh. I can't wait til this is over. One year and 9 months to go. I'm totally counting down.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like your viewpoint. The more I read the more I realize how educated you are :). And hey - I use Smart Balance so I hope it's as you say. These days though, don't they say everything's going to kill you or cause cancer in some way. If it's not pesticides and fertilizers, it's mad cow disease and extra additives. I agree - it's all about balance. (Beth)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">