Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I gave mouth to mouth last night

Don't worry, no one was dying.

What happened is that my 2 1/2 year old has large tonsils that are obstructing his airway. He's getting them out in a few weeks. The problem started over a year ago but it seems to be getting worse and worse. At night he really struggles for each breath and often doesn't breath at all (apnea). It's very scary to watch, as a parent. I try repositioning his head, forcing his mouth open, shaking him whenever he stops breathing. Nothing seems to work. Last night was really bad. And as I watch him suck in and not get any air I wished that I had one of those machines that obese people use to breathe when they suffer from apnea. It forces positive pressure into their throat, opening up their airway. And I thought to myself... maybe I can be the positive pressure.

So I put my mouth over his nostrils and the next time he tried to inhale I breathed. It made this terrible vibration - the sound of the air forcing itself around his tonsils. But he didn't wake up, didn't even stir. So I did it again and again. And after a few times the tonsils stopped vibrating as if they were positioned a little better- a pathway was created. We had a good pattern going. His breathing was steady now. I was able to kind of take his lead as to when he was inhaling. We did it for an hour. It was so comforting to know that I could actually do something to help him. (And by the way, it felt just like it does when you practice on a dummy in CPR certification).

But eventually I had to go to bed myself, so I lay next to him and fell asleep and he went back to struggling for each breath. I can't wait til this is over and he gets his tonsils out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">