Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My opinion on the ethics of...

I found this interesting article about a family that has decided to stunt the growth of their mentally retarded girl. It has caused a bit of an uproar because it sounds "offensive, if not preverse", to quote the article. She has always been at the developmental age of an infant and her parents felt that keeping her small would enable them to best care for her.

I, personally, think the parents have done the right thing. Their arguements are convincing... smaller body means less bed sores. No breast means no breast cancer which runs in the family, no puberty or mentruation will be easier on the girl. And perhaps the biggest arguement of all, is that her remaining small will enable the parents to continue to care for her the rest of her life in their home. And no one will give her the same TLC as they will.

No one loves a child more than their parents and I know they decided on this course because they knew it was the best course of action for their daughter.

My friend once cared for an enormous mentally retarded woman. I spent some time with them and I must say that this woman's size was a huge issue in her life. She was aggressive and scary and it was difficult for her mother to find caretakers for her because of this. Obviously this is not nearly the same scenerio as the one in the article, but I just wanted to share with you my personal experience with this subject.

One last quote from the article which made a lot of sense to me is "There are other parents that make decisions to make their children taller because that may be a benefit to the child. And so I think what all these cases have in common is an intention to help the child."

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said…

    I was just looking thru various blogs and came across yours. I'm a nurse in CA. I think that's a great idea. I've never heard it before. Anyone opposed to something like this hasn't had any experience with the DD. And, it's true, no one will care for you like your parents will.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">