Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The wussification of the next generation

I heard someone say that today and I just loved it!!! It's SO true. It's one of my pet peeves, the wussification of our kids. I mean I want my kids to be healthy and safe but it has SO crossed the line. Children have survived thousands of years without helmets, seatbelts, gated communities, nannies, constant vigealance.

Not that those are necessarily bad things, but it's just gone way too far. My biggest pet peeve is that kids can't play unsupervised anymore - mostly for fear of sex predators. So they all end up inside playing video games - and then people complain about the rates of obesity. sheesh. When I was a little girl I ran around the neighborhood and the woods playing endless hours of imaginative play. It was a very healthy good thing and so I err in the side of "free play" with my kids. And sometimes I look like a bad parent because of it, which is another annoying thing, but I supervise them a lot more than anyone ever was in my generation. (Not that I'm that old or anything)

Down with the wussification of our kids!

Oh, and another thing, I heard a weird theory that may actually hold some credance- that our boys are consuming large amounts of female hormones in the cows milk they drink which is contributing to their wussification. But my boys don't drink milk :-) (lactose intolerant dad, so I don't push it).

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    I COMPLETELY AGREE with you on that one Deena!!! Although I have no idea what woosification is your blog conveys the general idea, and I absolutely join in with you that we were free to run around and be KIDS when we were little - unsupervised - around the neighborhood, safe, happy, imaginitive, excersizing, and being kids... where did childhood go in the last 20 years????

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    wussification: becoming a wuss. I just changed the spelling of that to help you.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger mama said…

    Oh just you wait....a few more kids and noone will have the time to be wuusified in your family:) Seriously. And then some of the older kids can play outside with the younger ones!
    oh and the cows milk...everything is bad for ya these days isn't it? I think our culture is also way too obsessed with thealth!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">