Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, September 08, 2006

Live in the moment

Living in the moment is so hard to do in this society. I think it is particularly hard for mothers of preschoolers because you are always rushing to the next activity... feed the kids, wash the kids, clothe the kids, change the diapers, go to the park, ok let's play so we can go home, clean the house, make dinner... you get the idea. I remember when Brandon was a toddler, sitting by the sandbox at the park and telling myself to calm down and enjoy the moment.

Paul talks about this in the Bible when he says he has learned the secret to being content in all situations. It's what God calls us to do, so it's something we need to diligently practice.

Here's a quote that I think is apropos: "List-Consiousness is a state of mind that is entirely future-oriented. With a subtle but constant quality of rushing, it operates on the premise that life will happen once everything is crossed off The List... When you are in list consciousness you are leaning into the future and completely missing the present. Practicing presence punctures the fantasy that somehow life will begin when the kids soccer season is over or when I lose ten pounds or even when I take that meditation course and learn how to be more present! Practicing presence is brining ourselves to the recognition that life is happening right now- and is inviting us to wake up and notice." Abby Siexis, in FINDING THE DEEP RIVER WITHIN.

Oh what the heck, I'm on a roll. Heres a quote from Henry David Thoreau "Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of each."

Whew, I can cross "blog" off my to do list. Now I can go do my school work and then cook.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    That was absolutely awesome!!! I thoroughly enjoyed that blog entry!! - Written like a true writer there too hon!! :)

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger mama said…

    I like this post and as I come to realize I can't "do it all" anyway it's easier for me to live in the moment!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">