Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Thursday, May 04, 2006

My Intelligent Design Rebuttal

I have gotten some good debate in the comment section of my last Intelligent Design Post. Here is my most recent rebuttal.

Intelligent Design is a lot more than just "proving" that the world was created. It is also about learning all the intricacies of the world around us. Since I believe in ID I know that I am not surrounded by "accidents of nature" so I am going to look carefully for the patterns that I'm sure are there. For instance, in homeschool I might have the children count the petals on flowers, spirals on pinecones and seeds on a sunflower. With a little coaching my children will observe that these come in fibonacci numbers. They can observe that snowflakes never repeat a design. They can look for symmetry like rain drops in a pond; and bilateral symmetry like orchids. After making observations and given the hypothesis that everything was designed with purpose in mind this can lead to some fascinating questions and experiments. For instance, why ISN'T the intestines symmetrical or the heart symmetrical? My kids could explore this issue and find out that the intestines forfeit bilateral symmetry to gain length to do it's job. The right side of the heart pumps blood around the lungs. The left side of the heart pumps blood around the entire body so the left side needs to be bigger.

So you see, this really isn't bible class I'm teaching here. This is science class. And even if you disagree with Intelligent Design you would probably teach an identical science class yourself because these observations and hypothoses are pure science.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    I never said I disagree with the idea of intelligent design, just to calling it a scientific theory. :) I do also believe that I am not surrounded by "accidents of nature".

    Exploring nature with your kids is a wonderful thing to do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">