Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Thursday, April 13, 2006

A worthy charity

Last night I happened to watch this PBS show about treating diseases in third world countries. There was this humble Ugandan engineer. He traveled to villages without clean water and helped them put in place systems to establish clean water. You should have seen what these villagers were drinking. It was muck. The animals drank it too. Not only that, but they carried it in huge plastic containers far distances to get it home. It made me sick to look at. The engineer said it made him sick too. When they tested it, it was just loaded with diahrea causing bacteria that was cycling back and forth between the water and the people.

The line from the show that struck me to the core was this "This engineer has just saved more lives in one day than all the doctors could in a year" (paraphrase) As a nursing student, my passion is fixing hurting and dying people. But this man's seemingly innocuous profession is a more powerful tool in this fight than even medicine.

Yes, clean water is still unavailable to 1.1 billion people worldwide. Did you know that the average distance that women in Africa and Asia walk to collect water is four miles? At any one time it is estimated that half of the world’s hospital beds are occupied by patients suffering from water-borne diseases.

I was so inspired by this show I looked up "water" at www.charitynavigator.org and found one that had a (perfect) four star rating. I was excited to learn that it is also a Christian organization. I have decided to make a regular small (Ok tiny) donation to this worthy organization. wwww.water.cc You should also check them out.

I noticed that they also do missions trips and I would love to go on one with my eldest son in a few years. I think all kids should go on a missions trip. It puts your life in perspective. Especially as they enter adolesence. It's a good time to realize the important things in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">