Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tandem Breastfeeding

Tandem breastfeeding is supposed to be a special bonding experience between siblings. So when I was pregnant with my third I thought I would try it. (My second still breastfed for comfort). Well, my plan didn't work out. When the baby was born my older child was so big, the stark comparison between the two sizes made me very uncomfortable. I just couldn't tolerate breastfeeding the four year old. So unfortunately the whole plan back fires as I had to immediately wean the four year old at the birth of the baby, causing friction instead of bonding between the two. Don't worry, my son got over it. But I know for next time that it doesn't work for me. Maybe if the children were closer in age.

Which brings me to a classic question of breastfeeders: "When is the RIGHT time to stop breastfeeding?" and the answer is: "When the mother or child is uncomfortable with it"


Oh, this reminds me of a funny thing about the weaning... Every night I used to read stories to my kids before they went to sleep. Sometimes literally for an hour or more. This was mostly geared towards Brandon the older child, but I was happy to think of all the knowlege that my toddler Wolfie was soaking up as he lay there breastfeeding and listening. Well, at the age of 4 1/2 when I finally weaned him I was horrified to discover that he wasn't listening one iota. No, once the breast was removed from his mouth it was revealed the thoughts that would go through his head and they never had anything to do with the book. He could talk and talk and talk and no matter how long I got him to stay quiet he never concentrated on the book. Oh well, it was a good try on my part.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Bruce said…

    It's so nice to talk and talk and talk and talk to someone who loves you without limit like a mommy. That's probably why breast-fed kids are so (fill in a good word here), because they get that early good experience to set them in the right direction.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Bruce said…

    tandem...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">