Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Thursday, April 13, 2006

A homeschool compromise

As much as I would love to homeschool my kids again, I know that it isn't possible at this time in my life. I'm taking college courses myself and work to put myself throught school. Plus the never ending nitty gritty of running the family: cooking, cleaning, all of my toddlers needs, etc. So I have come up with a brilliant compromise. I have decided to "homeschool" the boys through the summer. Don't worry, it's not that cruel. The amount of actual school work they will need to do will probably amount to less than an hour a day. As any homeschooler will tell you, they learn a lot more in less time at home with the one on one attention.

Anyway, this is partly my way of "catching them up" to the acedemic acheivement that I desire for them that I know they aren't getting in the public school. More importantly it is a good routine and you know how children thrive on routine. Plus there are certain things that I feel get neglected during the school year. These will be the topics I can stress over the summer "homeschool". These include flossing teeth, regular devotions and daily cleaning chores. Obviously those are hugely important life skills.

A nice bonus to this whole plan is that I get to satisfy my little homeschool craving and by the time I start to burn out it's back to school for the boys! I'm so excited! As any homeschool mom will tell you, the most fun part is browsing book stores for new material. It's addicting. I probably don't need much of anything new, but it will be fun to look.

The subjects I would like to hit this summer include: The three R's, of course, (reading, 'riting, 'rithmatic) Intelligent Design, and Anatomy and Physiology - since it is fresh on my mind, having just finished A&P I and II in college. When I started A&P I thought that I was familiar with everything we were going to cover, (especially since I had taken it in highschool). I was surprised by how much I didn't know, like the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. So for my boys, I want to hit each and every chapter from my book - even if it's just to make one point. That way they will at least be familiar with all of the subjects.

I am going to withdraw from one of the summer classes I signed up for to really make time for the kids. If it is a success I will do it every summer. I'll keep you posted.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    '(reading, 'riting, 'rithmatic) Intelligent Design'

    Are you missing a comma there? By Intelligent Design do you mean Bible Class?

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    I most certainly mean "science class". I will have the kids make a book over the summer of the different patterns they observe in nature and amazing science facts. The sorts of things that point to an intelligent designer. I envision this book having dried leaf and pressed flowers in it, pictures of animals, photos of mountains from our hikes, amazing facts about the human body and dinosaurs that we will read, etc etc.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    Intelligent design isn't science. Go check out intelligent design on wikipedia for a lot more (and better written) then I could put here. There is nothing wrong with having a bible or science class, but you shouldn't call intelligent design science.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">