Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, January 20, 2006

Gender Detection Unreliable?

There is a new blood test that can be done early in pregnancy to determine your baby's sex. The lab that process' the results is actually in my home town and it's the only place in the world that does it - so that's interesting. Anyway, I recommended it to my friend who already has two boys. She paid the $300 and learned that she's having a girl. Yesterday I was visiting a pregnant couple who were having a girl. When they showed me the nursery I was surprised that it was painted blue. I asked them why and they said they also had done the gender test and were incorrectly told it was a boy. (Later disproved by ultrasound). This surprised me. Then today I went with my friend to her ultrasound. We were shocked to learn that she's having a boy!!! So the two people I've known who took the test got incorrect results!!! They claim it is correct 99.9% of the time but that just cannot be true. Fortunately they give a DOUBLE the money back guarantee. However, since the company hasn't yet been in business nine months I predict that so many people will ask for their money back, it will bankrupt them. (Or at least make them change their guarantee and hopefully their diagnostic technique).

4 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    Hmm 99.9%, so to get both of those wrong they had to do only 1998 other tests right. They must be doing way more then 2000 tests. At only $300 they probably do more then 100 a day at minimum. Another thing to factor in is that people are much more likely to tell you about when the company got it wrong then if they got it right.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    I doubt they do more than 100 a day. It's a very new test. I stand by my prediction that in a few months something will change at that company.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    well at only $300 a day they would have to do more then 100 a day at least to stay profitable, but looking around online I found the wikipedia article on them which calls a lot of things in to question. The biggest issue I have is probably the fact that they don't have a website. A company selling that type of product would be stupid not to.

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    I found their web page http://babygendermentor.com
    but I'm getting more and more skeptical. Thank you for the wikipedia link. I'm going to see if the Lowell Sun will do an article on this too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">