Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, December 16, 2005

Honest reflections of a working mom

So I'm wrapping up my first semester at college and my first six months as a working mom. So what sacrifices have I made? What has life REALLY been like? Well, the big question is how has it affected my children. I have to say that I spend a lot less time with them. This is especially true in comparison to last year when I homeschooled them and we were together nearly 24/7. If I thought it were really harming them I would stop, but they get a lot more time with their Dad and that's important, so it's OK I guess. I have pretty much stopped church going and devotions. I know. I know. I'm a heathen. The church thing was a combination of the lack of time and also I am in a transition and haven't picked a home church so I don't have a lot of motivation to go every week. I don't have nearly enough time for house cleaning. I hire my neighbor girl to help me keep up with it on Saturdays. Cooking? Ha. That's a joke. I don't really do that anymore. It's sad but true. And personal time is very rare - time for things like painting, piano, blogging, etc. And my poor neglected friends, I hardly ever talk to them anymore. So that's all the sacrifices I've made. What are the benefits? Well I'm looking at the long term and I'm really looking forward to becoming a nurse. Mostly, I need the stability that that degree will provide. I need to know that I can provide for my kids if something ever happens to my husband. I've been a single mom on Welfare before. I'm never doing that again. Also my husband really took my role as a wife and mother for granted. This experience is a good lesson for him. He will really appreciate me when I stay home again someday. Also, I get out of the house, get a work out (at UPS), get adult conversation and stimulation (at school). So those are all good benefits. And another side benefit is that I found as a stay at home mom I was always a little panicked in the back of my head about my complete identity. I was always fretting about what I was going to be. I'll feel more complete as an RN. I know that sounds kind of shallow but maybe other homeschooling moms can understand.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Bruce said…

    From "Christ is in Our Midst: Letters from a Russian Monk" by Father John.

    "Never mind if you do not always manage to complete your whole rule [for one's way of life]: do not be a slave to the rule. Keep the rule of the publican: 'God be merciful to me, a sinner' and remember God; this takes the place of every rule."

    Let the joy of the Lord be an oil to your weariness!

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Bruce said…

    Oh...and I am amused by the ads that google selects to go along with this posting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">