Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Friday, November 18, 2005

Fathers and the onset of puberty

In preparation for the coming years I've been reading a book called "Adolescence Isn't terminal, It Just Feels Like It". (Excuse the quotation marks, I can't underline in this blog for some reason). I found this information about fathers and the onset of puberty to be fascinating. I will just quote from it for your reading pleasure...

The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology states that having a biological father in the home, having and attentive father who demonstrates warmth and love and living in a home where there is a close relationship between the mother and father actually delays the onset of girls' pubertal development.
Think about this. Girls who live with caring fathers actually enter puberty at a later age. Why is this a good thing? Reaching puberty too soon can result in numerous societal problems, including early sexual experimentation and teenage pregnancy. Blankenhorn goes on to say that, according to an article published in the March/April 2000 issue of Child Development, the absence of the biological father speeds up a young woman's biological clock.

Although this next conclusion is just a hypothesis, researchers suspect that a fathers pheromones("pheromones are chemical substances secreted by the body that serve as stimuli to others of the same species for one or more behavioral responses) actually slow down a young woman's sexual maturation. A young woman's exposure to adult males who are not related to her (whether the male is her mother's live in boy-friend or second husband) does the reverse, actually speeding up the maturation process. In the Child Development study the younger the girl was when the unrelated male arrived in her home, the earlier she experienced the onset of puberty.

The researchers writing in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology article explain that the quality of the fathers' investment in the family emerged as the most important feature of the proximal family environment relative to daughters' pubertal timing.


Isn't that interesting? It reminds me of another interesting mystery of the body. Why do the menstrual cycles of women who are close start to synchronize? This happens in families, at college dorms and among friends. Could this also have to do with pheronomes? I've also noticed that the woman with the strongest will seems to lead cycles. It's all so interesting to me. I've always wanted to be an epidemiologist and study things like this. But I don't have time to get a PH.D/MD. Perhaps I could study it without a degree.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger firex4icex said…

    Well I agree with you. It's a matter of experience as well as maturity. I had my first son at 17. I now have four and I ahve gotten wiser with each child but was always a great mother from the day I found out I was pregnant. Interestingly enough do these women have children and live a normal life of kids and bills and what not to be opinionated on the topic??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">