Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, October 17, 2005

Want to be a teacher?

I know several people who went to school to become elementary teachers and when they graduated they found they couldn't get a job. It's like a dirty little secret. Everyone knows there is a teacher shortage, but what they don't know is that that doesn't apply to grades K-3. We certainly need more math and science teachers, but the "teacher shortage" doesn't apply everywhere.

This makes me mad because my friend has tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and now has to apply at a temp agency for any job she can get her hands on. My son's kindergarten teacher revealed to me in a conversation that even though she got a Masters degree she was shocked to find that she couldn't find a job. The only way she eventually did was by taking over for another teacher midway through the year. That seems to be the secret for getting in anywhere. Believe it or not, this is in a "combat zone" district (read: inner-city), so this does not just apply to the suburbs.

Anyway, I just wanted to blog this as a warning to other people considering this field. I'm not saying don't do it; I'm just saying go into it with your eyes open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">