Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, October 03, 2005

Holloween Costumes

The highlight of our weekend was buying holloween costumes. We always buy early before the good stuff runs out. My kids and I are very excited about this as usual. I like to say, I have 20-something years of not celebrating Holloween to make up for. No offense Mom and Dad. I totally understand why you did it. But I'm happy to trick or treat with my kids for the first time. I feel like I have found a healthy balance between enjoying a good family tradition and not celebrating a satanic holiday.

Anyway, the boys are Power Rangers as usual. (They are always some form of a Ninja). I got the little guy a really cute dragon costume. I spent a fortune on Timmy's costume, Mr. Incredible. But it's SOOO cute, I just had to get it. Finally, I am a princess. I was tempted to shell out a fortune on a cinderella costume but then I realized I just wanted to be a princess. I didn't care which one. So I bought a $12 tiara. I'll wear one of my gowns. Now I just have to talk to my boss about coming to work a little late that day.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Bruce said…

    What could be more fun than playing dress up? And even big girls like to play princess. I remember at Fayetteville Elementary, one of the younger women teachers dressed up for Halloween (on the dress up day)as a princess with satin dress and the pointy hat with streamers--she was a little embarrassed, but it was pretty.

    Halloween is still an occult, pagan anti-holiday, just to be clear. But dressup and fun and games belong to all of us. Like eating meat sacrificed to idols--if someone says to you, "Oh, I guess you think it's ok to worship Satan now?" because he has a problem with worshipping Satan, then you need to back of for that guy's sake. That's the "eating meat sacrificed to idols" principle. St. Paul's command comes down to "don't ask, don't tell, but don't cause your brother to fall."

    I used to live around people for whom paganism and evil spirituality was an option--both simple Satanists, some of whom live where I teach college now; and animists, people who believe that spirit beings are everywhere, in trees, the weather, etc., and for whom Halloween becomes serious. When EVERYONE doesn't believe in Satan and most people don't believe in God, Halloween is nothing more than dress up. That's how it was when I grew up, but not how it was when I had my own kids.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">