Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Body Image

I have heard that a girl's body image/self esteem is raised when she participates in athletics and has a greater appreciation for what her body can DO, not just what it looks like. I have experienced this first hand, having always been into sports and had pretty good self esteem. But lately, this has been taken to a whole new level. It's is uncanny how my body image has changed since I started work at UPS. I don't think I fully understand it, but I think it has a lot to do with this theory. Now that I go to work every day, lift heavy boxes and fill tractor trailers from beginning to end all by myself, I'm feeling more and more comfortable with my body. True I lost 5 pounds, but that isn't all that much. I still have stretch marks and a little mommy-pouch. But I don't care so much about them any more. I wonder if it also has something to do with the casual clothes I wear to work. For five days a week no one is judging me on my looks anymore. I wear (mandatory) work boots, jeans, and whatever shirt I happen to pull out of the closet. Sometimes I wear makeup and sometimes I don't. My boss doesn't care what I look like. All he wants to know is "can I work?".

On a similar subject, as much as I LOVE being a girl, there have been several times in my life when I've despised my lot in life as a female: 6th grade when I wanted to play basketball with the boys, 8th grade when I wanted to play baseball with the boys, as an adult when I wanted to play football with the boys, etc. Well, here at work I'm finally even with the boys. I have the chance to work just as hard as them and they expect it of me. I appreciate that. I enjoy it.

So here is to UPS for increasing my self esteem. Cheers.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    I think that for anyone (boy or girl) body image/self esteem is raised when they participates in any sort of athletics. You feel better, you have more energy, you loose a little weight, maybe spend time outside, maybe in a social setting. All of these make you feel better about yourself including how you look.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">