Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Tithing

It's 3:15 in the morning. ha ha. I drank tea tonight. I don't usually drink caffeine.

Anyway, I wanted to share my tithing story with you. My parents taught me to always tithe. I really see God's financial blessing when I do. The Bible doesn't say that you will receive FINANCIAL blessings necessarily. But the Bible does say "test me in this and see if I will not throw open the flood gates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Malachi 1:6

On the contrary, when I don't tithe I often LOSE money. Literally. Like bills will fall out of my pocket. Again, this is TOTALLY not in the Bible. This probably doesn't happen to anyone else. I just think it's God's special way of getting my attention. :) Lucky me.

Anyway, money's tight around here as you know. The other day my husband gave me forty bucks and said "Everyone should have money in their pocket. Here's forty bucks for you." Well that was sweet. I was on my way to the gym so I put it in our "key" drawer and left. While at the gym, running on the treadmill, I got to thinking about what I'm going to do with the money. I thought about how I'm getting a job soon and I'll soon have a little money of my own too. I decided that I was going to hoard all my money, hide it in my closet, and save it in case I need it. This really isn't a bad plan, you see, because my life isn't always stable and our finances are very unstable. So as a woman and a mother I need the safety of a savings fund. But I also got a little greedy and decided that I wouldn't tithe either.

Well... Can you see where this is going? The next morning I go to the drawer to get my money out and it's gone. It's really really gone. My husband saw me put it in it the night before. He also thinks he saw Dimitri playing with the money at some point while I was at the gym. But alas. We can't find the money anywhere. And we've looked everywhere. So, God, I have learned my lesson. I shall tithe. Now can I have my forty bucks back?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    I haven't found the money yet and I lost another ten dollars. God, I have really really learned my lesson now. PUh-lease can I have the money back now?

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger wala said…

    hey Deena, that was a good one!!
    From what I understood, tithing is giving money away to church, right?? Is it a donation?? I'm Muslim, so I'm not sure what it is. :)
    In Islam, we are obligated to donate money to the poor, and it happens to us that when we do "Zakat", our financial situation gets better! That's just awsome, isn't it! It's like getting your money back with BONUS!
    God is truly great.

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Deena said…

    Yes, Tithing is giving money to the church. :)

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Bruce said…

    Ha ha. Ohhh, that's sad. Losing money *can* be a prompting to be more diligent.

    Yes, tithing is giving to the church, but we can think of it as giving to God, and he doesn't have another mailbox around here. There is giving God the first and best of our earnings, which is tithing--to acknowledge his ownership of our money (and our lives). There is also giving to the poor, which we don't really have a modern word for, and the old fashioned word is "alms" or maybe "charity." Then there is special giving for church- or spiritually-related purposes, above our tithes, which is more technically "offerings" like for building projects or to help some leader's special vision (that we believe in too).

    I think that there is not a tight cause-and-effect relationship between tithing and prosperity in general--God is not impersonal--but also that God will work with us individually to help us grow. Money is a great place to get our attention. In general, if all the people tithe, all the people will do well, over a long period of time.

    Now for me, I too, like Deena, find that when I tithe, my financial state is more stable than when I don't. When I don't, I'll wreck the car, or miss a payment by three days and pay $35, or make a right turn on red in a surprise-no-turn-on-red corner and get a ticket, or I'll loan money and never get it back, or I'll buy something "I just have to have" that turns out to be fairly pointless. Of course, bad things happen for other reasons too.

    Sometimes people prosper because God lets them go deeper and deeper into sin, to reap the fruit of living apart from him. Abundance then becomes for them the means of their destruction. Not hard to see examples of this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">