Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Comparing Neighborhood Schools

I went to the parent information center to pick up some pamphlets on the neighborhood schools. Call me obsessive compulsive if you like, but I've compiled an extensive chart on my favorite choices. I would love your comments to help me choose my order of preference.

Arts Magnet pros: Recommended by a friend
Highest MCAS scores, including some advanced scoring,
which the other schools didn't have.

cons: My husband isn't really interested in it

Bailey pros: Recommended by a friend
Good playground and facility
Lowest % low income students
Highest % core classes taught by teachers with Masters degrees (100%)


cons: Lowest teacher attendance (94%)
Highest student/teacher ratio 1:26
Lowest reading and English scores and this DESPITE
the highest % students from English speaking homes

Shaughnessy Pros: Recommended by a friend
The kids want to go there
My husband is most interested in this one
Good playground and facility
2nd best test scores

Cons: Furthest drive
Slightly below average core teachers with Masters degrees
Slightly below average student attendance rate

Washington Pros: Closest school
Highest 3rd grade reading scores and this despite
the highest % low income students
Best student teacher ratio 1:19
Highest teacher attendance

Cons: Highest % Low income students (65%)
Lowest MCAS scores including
abysmal math scores (40% failing MCAS)
No playground and old facility

So, all you people who read and haven't commented, don't be shy. I want to know what you think! What is your gut instinct on the best school?

3 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Ruth said…

    I think that the Shaunessey is your best bet--it looks like they have their act together more than the other schools.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger beth said…

    I agree, Shaunessey sounds best to me...

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Deena said…

    Thanks you two, for taking the time to think it through. My mom votes for Shaunessey too, so I guess it's unanimous (or close to it). I'll put in my request and we'll cross our fingers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">