Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Monday, July 11, 2005

Bragging about my baby

Do you mind if I brag about my baby a little? He's one, and every time I look at him he makes me very very happy inside. If he's sleeping he looks like an angel. If he's smiling my heart melts. If he's being mischeivious he makes me laugh.

He knows how to say several words: da-da, ma-ma, ball
Also in Cambodian: yeay (grandma), da (grandpa), bawk ("open" as in "turn on the light or turn on the water")

He also know the sign language for water and uses it regularly.

I wish he would continue to grow up bi or tri lingual. That's a stretch though. When he was a new baby I got all excited about teaching him sign language. Water is the only word I did consistantly. But hey, you gotta start somewhere.

I know that babies usually say Dad first - in pretty much every language. (It's my theory that when languages were developing, the word for father arose from babies first sounds. The mothers, of course, already bond with their baby. Calling out to Dad is one of the fist ways baby can bond with him).
Anyway, I was in no way offended when Dimitri said Da-da first. But as the months went by and as he learned FOUR other word on top of da-da THEN I started feeling left out. He's starting to say ma-ma on occasion now, thankfully.

He is a strong boy. We always thought he would be the biggest, since he started out that way - ten pounds, four ounces! (AND natural childbirth!) The nurse in the hospital said that his chest was unusually large. It was only a centimeter smaller then his head. Usually a newborn's head dwarfs his body. Now that he's older and can walk he likes to pick up heavy things and carry them. It's a riot. I've never seen a baby do anything like it before. So of course I've got "strong man" dreams for him. He's got a good gene pool, I'm sure he'll be fine. His Dad's got a huge chest.

He's also strong willed. That will be fun to deal with in the coming months (sarcasm). My first born is also strong willed but I think Dimitri is more so. I first noticed it when he was a few months old. I told my friend then,
that I was tempted to abandon him on a hillside like the ancient Romans -kidding, kidding, of course.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Bruce said…

    Dimitri surprised me. (Ok, blog visitors--I know Deena.) When I told him to do something, he did the exact opposite and watched me. I was surprised that the rebellion was so obvious, so unvarnished, so direct. And he's only one year old. In a way, that makes him different than the other guys--they had hard times to humble their hearts; but Dimitri will need a stronger hand to cross his will, early on, by mom and dad (acting in one mind, ideally). As Dobson says, breaking the will without crushing the spirit. If your early training works, you may survive the teen years.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">