Trying to raise my kids the best I can

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Today I went to my sister in law's graduation...

Today I went to my sister in law's graduation. I'm so proud of her. She is the fifth child (of six) and the first in the whole family to graduate from high-school. (Though I have to give props to my husband for getting his GED). I was a little sad that only three adults (and four kids) showed up to cheer her on. I also think it was significant that no men from the family showed up. Considering how big our family is, it was dissappointing, but it also represents to me they different values between the way my husband was raised and the way I was raised. Many of the men-folk were working at the time (a Wednesday evening).

Anyway, I cheered really loudly for her when they called her name and she waved back at us.

This graduation was different then the others I've been to. (And I've been to many, many). Since it is one of the biggest high schools in the state, the ceremony was held in a huge arena. In all the graduations I've ever been to the name is called, the crowd claps politely, the graduate walks the stage, gets the diploma, exits the stage, another name is called. Well that doesn't exactly work when you have to get through 700+ names. Ha Ha. So instead each name is called with about three seconds between them. At first I tried to politely clap for everyone, even though no one else was. Trust me, that got old real fast.

The other thing that was a little different is that, unlike normal graduations there was never really any times of silence. Even when people gave their speeches. The majority of the crowd were immigrants and it's just kind of amusing because they don't know that it's proper to be silent at certain times. I don't know if this applies to just Cambodians or other immigrants too. Anyway, it wasn't obnoxious or anything, just different. Actually, this happened at my wedding too which is even funnier, but thankfully I had an outdoor wedding so their voices just wafted away. (And you have to give them credit for even coming, because some of them didn't speak English).

The biggest applause went to the kids with perfect attendance... one year, two years, three, four... and are you ready for this? Thirteen years of perfect attendance. I want to meet that boy's mother!

One of the boys danced across the stage to get his diploma. That was amusing in and of itself; but then the big fat man who shakes his hand started dancing too. The crowd went wild!

I had to bring my baby (who turns one tomorrow!) because he's going through this separation anxiety stage where he'll scream bloody murder if I leave him. I thought I'd try the old airplane trick and give him some Benedryl first, so that he'd go to sleep. It didn't work. Not even a tiny bit. Maybe I didn't give him enough. I was afraid of overdosing him because I heard about a babysitter who did that and killed a kid.

Well, all in all, it was a good time. Congratulations to all you 2005 graduates!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Ben Meyer said…

    If a child has had perfect attendance for thirteen years it means that the parents have sent the child to school even when they are sick. As an adult I will get sick enough to stay home once, maybe twice a year on average. As a child, when your immune system is being built up you get sick a lot more often. So maybe the mother really needed her time at home and would send the kid off every day no matter what. Thirteen years is less commendable when you start thinking about it. If anything the school system shouldn't be giving the award because that sick kid attending school got plenty of other kids sick.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
<BASE href="http://www.allnaturalmother.blogspot.com /"> <META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="parenting blog, natural mother, all natural mother, parenting tips, parenting techniques, homeschool mother, christian mother, mothering tips, mothers blog "> <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="An All Natural Mother’s Guide to Parenting: Find information on Parenting.">